Thursday, November 10, 2011

Roasted Tomato Sauce

...how do I make my own red pasta sauce from scratch?

A couple of months ago my oldest sister; bumblingbaker told me that she had made homemade tomato sauce. She described how little ingredients there were & how simple & fragrant it could be. So while flipping through my Weight Watchers Cookbook I discovered this Roasted Red Sauce; & the calories were so low I couldn't resist! The moment I opened my oven just 50 minutes later this intense roasted smell came over my entire kitchen. I did alter the recipe by adding tomato paste the second time I made it to give it a more rich red colour. I have tried a few different variations as well which you can find at the bottom of this page & give a completely different taste - go ahead - find your favourite & let me know if there's any other vinegars you like too!

12 plum tomatoes, cut in fourths lengthwise
1 large vidalia onion, halved lengthwise then sliced crosswise
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1 tbsp fresh basil minced
1 tbsp fresh sage minced
1/2 cup tomato paste

1) Preheat oven to 375F
2) Spray 2 large non stick pans with olive oil non stick spray

3) Arrange the tomatoes & onion in single layers on the pans

4) Sprinkle with the vinegar, garlic, salt & pepper

5) Sprinkle basil & sage

6) Lightly spray with olive oil non stick spray

7) Roast in the oven until tomatoes & onion are lightly browned & have an intense, sweet aroma, 50-55 minutes.

8) Transfer the tomatoes & onion to a food processor

9) Add tomato paste & pulse until still a bit chunky

1/2 cup = 39 calories

Other versions:
Try using different vinegars instead of the balsamic like apple cider or red wine vinegar or add come red chili pepper flakes for a kick


No comments:

Post a Comment